jueves, 29 de mayo de 2014

Maleficient

Elle Fanning was a smiling darling. She won my heart with her simplicity in acting and charm.

Sam Riley did a wonderful job and loved his character.

Very much loved the three fairies, just delightful. They were funny, chirpy and just delightful.

 - I don't know why but I thought he struggled at times to talk naturally with his accent. However I'm not an expert on accents so that might just be the way he wanted King Stefan to talk.

The main character, Maleficient is full of wonderful possibilities. She is a lovely, powerful, courageous fairy that suffers when someone steals her most prized possession: her wings. Out of vengeance she becomes evil and enjoys people's suffering. Then she feels true love toward her victim. This is without doubt a character that just begs for millions of layers of understanding and human complexity. It's a helluva role to get cast in. I know Angelina Jolie is who she is, and her name will definitely bring people to see the movie but I just don't think she rose to the challenge. She did an ok job. She is beautiful but it was tiresome (at least for me) to see her making faces and small sounds 'humm' and 'ahh' to the camera. It's just that this role is open up and so giving. She could've really rocked it!

The scene with her real daughter was nice too. Maybe I'm expecting too much of her and this is why I may sound harsh. I just thought she could put more reality, gravity (not in unnecessary drama but truthfulness to the situation, to the story).

When talking to her army, her voice didn't carry far nor her power. She hurt her throat in the process to. I think it would've bee adequate to talk from the depths of her stomach. That way it demonstrates a more tranquil power; like saying I know I can defeat you, hence I will not shout - you will hear my voice thunder without hurting my vocal chords.

Then when her wings were cut, it was somewhat painful to watch that. I might be wrong. Maybe the reality was cut down a bit to be fit to show children... but I just wish she would've taken more risks with this role. I have faith she can definitely do this so I'll keep an eye out for her work. I believe she has been through a lot lately and that she's an exemplar human being. So keep doing what you love Angelina.

xx

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario